Last week, I shared a list of 5 things not to include on your baby registry. Inspired by insightful reader comments, I’ve added five more things not to include on your baby registry.
- Bath Seats – While infant bath seats are cute, and often hard to resist, they are not necessary. Babies can be easily bathed in the kitchen sink, and by not purchasing one of these, you can put the funds toward something more important – like a quality car seat.
- Bottle Warmers – As a breastfeeding mama, I didn’t include this on my registry for obvious reasons. And those of you who will be formula feeding shouldn’t either. A baby bottle should be served at room temperature. Anything warmer is too warm for baby.
- Baby Lotions, Shampoos, and Washes – Unless you are planning to use a specific brand, this is another category of items you’ll likely receive more than you need. Babies don’t use much soap, you probably won’t need to buy your own until your baby is a toddler! I would suggest, however, if you plan to use a specific brand (like an organic, non-toxic) you should include that on your registry to help steer the gift givers toward products you’ll actually use.
- Baby Toys – There is something about rattles and other infant toys that people cannot resist! Don’t add these to your registry, you’ll receive enough of these to go to the moon and back!
- Baby Food Makers – I am NOT telling you that you shouldn’t make your own baby food. I’m telling you that purchasing a baby food maker is a waste of money. You can easily make your own baby food using a pot with a lid and an immersion blender or a food processor. Chances are, you already have one of those because you registered for it when you got married. (Don’t feel guilty if you’ve never used it!)
When you’re giving a baby gift, if you choose to NOT select something from the registry, please don’t give any of these items!
What are some items you received for your newborn that you never used?
This is part of series of posts titled Motherhood Mondays where I’ll be sharing my parenting experiences, tips and advice. If there is a specific topic you would like to see in the coming weeks, please email me with Motherhood Mondays in the subject line.