Taco Tuesday. That’s a thing around here. It helps make menu planning easier for me and puts an end to the question “What’s for Dinner?” However, we have turkey tacos every Tuesday and, honestly, that gets boring. I knew it was time to change things up when I saw these great La Morena Sliced Jalapeños and Chipotle Peppers in the Hispanic section of my local Walmart.
When the weather is nice, I like to use my grill as often as possible. And one thing that tastes delicious on the grill is shrimp. Grill + Shrimp + Sliced Jalapeños = Grilled Shrimp Tacos.
This Grilled Shrimp Taco recipe is perfect for feeding friends in your neighborhood or for a quiet family night dining al fresco. What I love about incorporating the La Morena products into my recipes is that they add authentic Latino flavors to our traditional American BBQ meals.
Making Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Begin with shrimp that is peeled and deveined. I purchase mine that way, but you can do it yourself, if that’s your thing. Skewer three shrimp per wooden skewer and season them lightly with freshly cracked black pepper. Give it a little spritz of non-stick cooking spray before putting it on the grill. Shrimp grills quickly, about three minutes per side.
While the shrimp is grilling, combine the a tablespoon of liquid from the La Morena Sliced Jalapeños with two tablespoons of mayonnaise and pour that over sliced cabbage and shredded carrots. Stir it together and set aside. [If you don’t want to slice the cabbage and shred the carrots yourself, take a little help from the store and grab a package of cole slaw mix.]
I love to make avocado salsa. The light, refreshing flavors scream summer to me! Use an avocado slicer to remove all of the avocado from the skin; then dice it.
Grab a lime and juice half of it. Trust me, the fresh lime juice is worth the extra effort.
In a small bowl, combine diced avocado and freshly squeezed lime juice. Add a quarter cup of diced red onions. Mix well, check the taste to see if you need to add pepper or salt.
Let the shrimp cool slightly and remove from the skewers. Fill each taco with the cabbage slaw, avocado salsa, and shrimp. Top with sliced jalapeños. Serve with lime wedges.
This dish is so simple to make. You can change the flavor profile slightly by using La Morena Chipotle Pepper instead of the Sliced Jalapeños.
- 1/2 Pound of 21-25 Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 10-12 La Morena Sliced Jalapeños
- 2 cups cole slaw mix [or 1 3/4 cups sliced cabbage and 1/4 cup shredded carrots]
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp liquid from La Morena Sliced Jalapeños
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup diced red onions
- white corn tortilla, taco size
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Black Pepper and Salt, as needed
- Season shrimp with cracked black pepper and spritz with non-stick cooking spray.
- Grill shrimp until cooked thoroughly, about 3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and liquid from La Morena Sliced Jalapeños with cole slaw mix. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine avocado, lime juice, and red onions. Stir to combine.
- Fill each taco with the cabbage slaw, avocado salsa, and shrimp. Top with sliced jalapeños. Serve with lime wedges.